Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Inktense Pencils Rock!!

Okay...it's been a year since I posted  anything on my blog.  Guess it is about time I  get back in the swing of things.  There are many fabulous artists and crafters sharing online.  I have learned so much from them.  Almost any technique or product you can think of now has a  YouTube video or a blog with related instructions.  I love this!! So I decided it was time to share more of mine.

This year has been a busy one for me, I was really excited when I was asked last year to write a book about Bottle Art, it was published June of 2010 by Design Originals.  I have been saving old bottles (mostly wine bottles) and jars for years.  The wine bottles line my flower beds and become bottle trees.  They also make some great assemblage art, glasses and jewelry...just use the small broken pieces.  In my studio very little goes to waste. Some of my best times creating art comes when I have to brainstorm new ways to use recycled materials.

                                                       I love to draw eyes in my creatures.

Recently I have been doing a lot of journaling, it has now become one of my favorite art forms.  Each page can be devoted to a new technique, thought or theme and it gives me the chance to try out my many art supplies. Are you anything like me?  Gotta use those coupons from the craft store so you end up with art stuff you simply forget about.  Or worse...don't even know what the heck it is.


I have heard several artists rave about the Inktense pencils from Derwent...so with one of my coupons I purchased a set.  I had assumed they were like most watercolor pencils but kept hearing how intense the colors were.  They are aptly named,  the Inktense pencils are so...so wonderful.  I have used them in a lot of my art now and journal pages...these are perfect for mixed media artists.  They can be added to your other art work, small touches with them can make a big difference.

 


My favorite way to use them right now is simply to draw with a Sakura Micron pen on an old book page and color it in with my Inktense pencils.  I normally gesso everything before working on it but this is an experiment in minimal materials...usually done at night before bed.  Just me, the book, the markers and Inktense pencils.  I also use the refillable water color brushes, the H2O watercolor brush that comes in a little plastic tube with a brush on the end. Heaven...love the color in my creatures...I plan to fill the whole book with these fun and colorful drawings. 

3 comments:

Sandhya said...

WoW....Cindy!!...your sketches are super amazing....very lovely....
I love the Inktense pencils too...they are amazing...

Unknown said...

Thank you Sandhya, I was so glad I finally tried them...had to share.

Mary Lynn said...

I love your creatures and the inktense pencils look like they would be so fun to work with.